Children always need some space to flourish their creative endeavours where they can do drawing, colouring, making origami with papers or any other crafts. For ensuring such a place or space, as parents, you will always need an art desk for your kid.
What is an art desk?
Well, an art desk is a desk or table but here some extra space or racks are used to keep their necessary materials like colour pencils, pastel colours, art papers or other equipment needed for art or creative activity. These desks are made in such a way that they will feel artists comfortable for doing their jobs. This is more useful than an ordinary desk because it has extra storage space.
Why do kids need an art desk?
The first question may arise in mind, why does one need an art desk separately? Everyone has a reading table at their home. Is it necessary to have another art desk? Well, these questions are logical and the answers are logical enough also. When you art or draw, you have to put more concentration in every detail of your artwork. Any type of discomfort may affect your art.
You may have been noticed that artists use canvas while drawing because an inclined surface is comfortable to draw as they can rest their hands on them. If they cannot relax their hands, there could be pain on the hands and neck. While drawing, your child will always lean forward if they art on a normal reading table, they will feel pain on their neck for leaning forward. So you will need an art desk that can be tilted.
There is another necessity of using an art desk is its storage capability. These desks have space for storing the art equipment which is very much special than normal study desks.
Which type of art desks do kids need?
Any artist needs to give his imagination a physical form through illustrations or drawings. And for this purpose, the need for an art desk is inevitable. For kids, there are different types of art desks like inclined type, short height desks, a normal table like desks, etc.
An inclined type of art desk can work more like a canvas. It is slightly inclined so that the artist can relax his hand on the table very easily.
Short height desks are for those kids who are fond of drawing sitting on the floor. Some desks are specialized with a height adjustment facility where you can change the height of the desk according to necessity.
Some art desks are alike simple reading tables or desks only with the facility of storage of art equipment. There could be features like extra drawers or racks for storing papers, colours, artists’ brush, etc.
Some of the art desks are now digitalized. The parents who want their kids to be a professional illustrator, architect or artist in the future, can purchase a digital multitasking digital desk for their beloved kids.
What features you should consider while purchasing an art desk?
Well, it is very difficult to choose your desired art desk as there are different types of featured desks on the marketplace. But some absolute features cannot be excluded. These key points are:
- Size: The size that is the area of the surface of desks should be according to your choice. It depends on the space you need for your drawing. The average size of an art desk is 24×36 square inches.
- Height: The height of the desk also depends on your choice. There are some desks with a special feature of adjustable height so that you can easily fix according to your need. But the average height used for an art desk is 30 inches from floor to tabletop.
- Tilting: This one has a key factor for an art desk. It is the difference creating feature between an art desk and a study desk. On average, the desks have the feature of tilting up to 40 to 45 degrees.
- Storage: It is another key feature of art desks. Storage includes adjustable drawers, shelves, pencil ledge, etc.
- Materials: Desks are made of generally aluminum, teak wood, steel, maple wood, rubberwood, etc. It depends on your choice and budget.
- Cost-effective: And finally the desk you will purchase should be cost-effective and should be within your budget. The price of the product must be according to the features with it.
The points above are the general features you need to consider while purchasing an art desk for your kids.
Advantages of using an art desk
Now come to the advantages of using an art desk. There must have some advantages or specialties for which we are suggesting an art desk for your kids. So let’s know what those are.
- Ergonomics: When your kid regularly draws on a horizontal surface she or she will have to spend a lot of time keeping his head down and leaning his neck forward. It may develop many difficulties like sore, tight muscles, neck pain, etc. For this reason, using an inclined or tilted art desk will be a wise choice to get rid of these problems.
- Perspective: Using an inclined art desk will allow your kids to have a better point of vantage of his artwork. His eye level will be at the centre of the picture which will give a broad idea about perspective drawing and will help your kids to brighten their drawing skills. On the other hand, using a horizontal desk for the drawing will make your visual focal point aligning at a single point. It is not much suitable for drawing. So it is your choice to choose a better idea.
- Drawing grip: Drawing on an inclined surface or desk will allow your kid to grip his paintbrush or pencil more easily and comfortably. This drawing grip allows controlling pencil using shoulder and elbowing instead of using the only wrist. So long, even and more consistent lines can be drawn easily. This will also give your kid a more natural and comfortable feeling to draw which is very much necessary for your child. It will increase the creativity of your child in art.
So, these are the very many scientific and solid advantages are that your kid will get from using an art desk.
Kids who have a great hobby in artistic fields or passion for arts will need an art desk that can comfortably accommodate themselves and the drawing gadgets that they need for their creation. So do not hesitate to buy an art desk for your kids and help them to flourish their creativity.