In United States there is a fatal car accident every 12 minutes and each year the percentage of car death accidents is growing. A good amount of car accidents can be prevented if the driver abstains from using his mobile during his car driving period or if belts have not been used by the driver as per the instructions mentioned. It becomes very dangerous when you have a kid in your car and you do not use the Car Seat Guidelines for your safety.
What are the guidelines which need to be kept in mind when you have a child traveling with you in a car?
The American Academy of Pediatrics or AAP have strictly mentioned that children below 2 years of age should sit in a rear facing seat when travelling in a car with their parents. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has also propagated this same guideline and has also extended the child’s age to 3 years. This step was undertaken as the pediatrics realized that the head of a child was much larger to the body and in case a car accident occurred the child would face head and spinal injuries. Therefore basic Car Seat Guidelines for a young child were that they should sit in a rear facing seat. This seat would prevent head collision if a car accident occurs. These seats also support the total body of the child and make him comfortable enjoy his ride in his car. Even today the percentage of children dying in a car accident is quite alarming. Once he grows up you can switch him to a convertible seat keeping his weight and height in mind.
What do you do if your child has long legs?
One of the limitations faced by children who have long legs is the fact that they have limited leg area. Here an expert would advise the parent to make them sit of the rear facing seat with their legs crossed. Here even though the parent might think that the child’s leg would be hurt, but the experts maintain that would not be the case. Ben Hoffman a pediatric and an expert in this area explains that when a child is sitting in a car seat which is forward facing, in the scenario of an accident, his legs and arms would move forwards and he would get hurt. However if the child is sitting in a car seat which is rear facing, then the likelihood of being hurt would be one I ten thousand. These seats are customized according to a child’s weight of around 50 seconds and could be tall up to 49 inches also.
Basic Mandatory Seat Guidelines to be followed
• Children lesser than two years of age should sit in a rear facing sit. In case the child is heavy he can sit in a rear facing seat as per his customized seat.
• For children more than 5 years old, a five point harness seat should be used when he is travelling in car. The seat should be foreword facing in nature. The height and the weight of the child are considered when selecting the seat.
• The next seat recommended in the Car Seat Guidelines is the booster seat. The booster seat is a seat with a harness and the growing young child could be used till he is 12 years old or has attained the height of 4 ft 9 inches in height.
Some Important facts about adult safety belt
• According to various internal driving regulations, a vehicle driver should wear a car safety belt harness when he is driving and the person sitting with him in the front seat should also wear the safety belt. In case a driver is caught not wearing these safety belts, he could be issued a ticket. Most states in US follow this mandatory policy.
• A research has undertaken that African-American do not use these safety belts in a regular manner. Hispanics and white do follow these regulations regularly.
• The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s surveys have indicated that six children in every 10 car accidents die, as they have not worn the safety belt. Being a parent you can teach them and they would learn to do it in the right manner.